So much zucchini and so little time. I have so much zucchini that I have to keep coming up with different ways to serve it. I concocted this zucchini boat recipe and it was a huge hit with my dinner guests. Of course, I topped it with bacon and who doesn’t like anything topped with bacon, right?
- olive oil
- red pepper flakes
- 3 large zucchini
- 3/4 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- fresh cracked pepper
- pinch garlic powder
- 6 Roma tomatoes
- 1 1/4 cup shredded Italian cheese
- 4 slices thick cut bacon
- fresh basil leaves
1. Cut the ends off of each zucchini and cut in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scoop out the guts.
2. Coat in olive oil and generously sprinkle with oregano and a dash of red pepper flakes.
3. Roast in a 400° oven for 20 minutes.
4. Mix ricotta and egg until smooth. Add parmesan, mozzarella cheese, pepper and garlic powder and mix until combined.
5. Spoon mixture evenly into hollowed zucchini and bake for 20 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and top with sliced tomato, Italian cheese, and bacon. Cook for 10 more minutes or until cheese melts.
7. Remove from oven and let sit 5-10 minutes for cheese to set.
8. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.