Always soak your wooden skewers in water for at least one hour before using them on the grill.
This past Memorial weekend I was at my sister’s house manning the grill for her. She had made some fantastic kabobs but didn’t know you had to soak the skewers first. So yes, the skewers caught on fire! They still tasted great but some of the grilled mushrooms wound up on the deck because the skewer had burned through the middle. Uh oh!!
But, that’s not the worst part. She lives in front of some woods and while I was grilling my husband put on a Michael Meyers mask from the Halloween movies and stood in the woods and scared the heck out of me! He’s lucky I didn’t skewer him!!!