Beans, beans the musical fruit, the more you eat the more you…………..sing out how good they are. I know, you were thinking something else. The mixture of White Northern beans and Sweet Italian sausage perfectly compliment each other in this delightful white bean and sausage soup recipe.
- 1 lb. Sweet Italian Sausage
- 32 oz. Reduced Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 15 oz. cans Great Northern Beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 large Onion (diced)
- 1 stalk Celery (diced)
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1 large Bay Leaf
- 1/2 tsp Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 cup cooked Brown Rice (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Ancho Chili Powder
- 1/2 tsp New Mexican chili powder
- Brown sausage in soup pot over medium heat. Remove sausage with slotted spoon but do not drain the fat. Set sausage aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in the sausage drippings.
- Add chicken broth and all spices and beans and heat thoroughly.
- Using an emulsion blender blend soup and beans for a couple of seconds to thicken. Take care not to blend for too long so you still have plenty of whole beans.
- Add cooked sausage back to soup mixture.
- Reduce heat and let simmer at least 2 hours stirring occasionally.
- The longer you simmer your soup the more your flavors will marry.
- Because I had leftover rice in my refrigerator I added 1/2 cup cooked brown rice after blending and thickening.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 6