This Venison Shepherds Pie Recipe is actually derived from my venison crock pot recipes. I made Venison Vegetable Barley Soup in the crock pot and purposely slow cooked an extra shoulder roast with it to make Shepherds Pie for dinner the next day. It is so simple yet so satisfying and delicious. I think you’re going to love it.
- small venison shoulder roast cooked in crock pot
- Swanson beef broth (enough to cover roast)
- 1 tbsp Better than Bouillon beef base
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 – 9′ pie crust
- 1 small yellow onion
- 12 oz. jar Heinz beef gravy
- 16 oz. bag of frozen peas/carrots
- 2 – 4 oz. packages of Idahoan Butter & Herb Instant Potatoes
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Slow cook venison shoulder in beef broth and beef base until very tender.
- Remove shoulder from crock pot and cut into bite sized pieces or shred.
- Prepare pie crust in 9′ pie plate.
- Saute chopped onion in butter. Add beef and gravy. Mix well.
- Add mixture to pie crust.
- In the same pan add frozen vegetables and cook for 5 minutes.
- Layer on top of venison mixture.
- Prepare potatoes according to package directions then layer on top of vegetables.
- Bake at 400° for 40 minutes then add cheese to top and cook 10 more minutes.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Crock pot time: 4 hour(s)