Summer is right around the corner and that means BATHING SUIT SEASON! I don’t know about you but this scares the heck out of me every year. No more baggy pants and bulky sweaters to hide under. Every April I go into panic mode and try to lighten up my diet to fit back into the clothes I wore last summer. This tuna pasta salad recipe is made with solid white albacore tuna and whole grain pasta. It is also made with olive oil not mayonnaise. Not only is it delicious and refreshing in the summer, it’s healthy and low-fat. Your bathing suit will thank you as well as other people on the beach that have to look at you. Just kidding. Well, not really. Ha ha!
- 6 oz. whole grain pasta
- 1/3 cup fat-free reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cupred wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp salad supreme
- 1 jar roasted red peppers in water – cut into strips
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1/3 chopped fresh parsley
- 12 oz. can of white albacore tuna packed in water, drained and pulled apart.
- 1 lemon – zested
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- Boil pasta until al dente. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- In a large bowl mix all ingredients together except for pasta, tuna and cheese. Mix well so oil and vinegar are not separated.
- Add pasta, tuna, and cheese. Toss lightly.
- Let pasta salad sit in the refrigerator a couple of hours before serving to chill.
**When serving anything with whole wheat pasta it is best served the same day as the pasta absorbs all the liquids and becomes dry if sitting overnight.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8