Hello crockpot! I got this pork butt on sale for about $5 and added all the goodies for a fantastic slow cooker/crock pot recipe. I even had enough left over to have lunch for the next couple of days. The small things in life make me happy.
- Place pork butt in slow cooker/crock pot.
- Quarter the head of cabbage and remove core.
- Add carrots then cabbage.
- Wash potatoes and cut in half leaving skin on.
- Add peppercorns.
- Dissolve vegetable base in water and pour into crock pot.
- Put lid on and cook on high for 6 -8 hours.
- When everything is cooked through, remove it from the crock pot reserving the stock for gravy.
- Skim the fat layer from the pork and pull apart removing bones.
- Add stock to a gravy separator with a straining top and let the fat rise to the top.
- The straining top will catch the peppercorns, etc.
- Pour the stock into a heavy sauce pan and turn it on over a medium heat.
- Mix a slurry of cold water and flour in a shaker and shake. Slowly add slurry of cold water and flour and whisk until thick and bubbly cooking out the flour taste.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 6 hour(s)