Looking for a Meatless Monday recipe? I’ve got it. My kids come from a long line of fisherman and watermen. Their paternal grandfather served in the Coast Guard and had the privilege of manning the Thomas Point Light House in Annapolis, MD. Their maternal great-grandfather was a boat builder for Trumpy Yachts in Annapolis, MD. Their dad and his brother are both sea captains who share a passion for fishing. You could say boating and fishing is in their blood. My freezer was always stocked full of fish. Living within a few hours of Ocean City, MD. allowed them to deep-sea fish and bring home some beauties. Trying to come up with different ways to prepare it was a challenge I was willing to accept.
Amanda and Matthew after a successful day deep-sea fishing.
- Blue fin tuna steaks (can use Yellow fin if Blue fin is not available)
- Wasabi Teriyaki marinade
- 1 cup Pearl couscous
- 1 can of black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 small bag or 1-2 fresh ears of corn with kernels cut off
- 1 sweet red pepper – diced
- 1 yellow pepper – diced
- 1 orange pepper – diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper – seeded & diced
- 1/2 cup red onion diced
- 2 Tbsp. cilantro – chopped
- 4 Tbsp. of oil (olive or vegetable oil)
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 lime (juiced)
- 2 Tbsp. hot sauce (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Diced avocado and tomato are also optional in this recipe.
- 1/2 cup good mayonnaise
- 1 Tbsp wasabi paste
- 1/2 tsp of low sodium soy sauce
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- Prepare couscous as directed on package and set aside.
- Dice peppers and onion. Chop cilantro.
- In a large bowl combine corn, rinsed black beans, peppers, onions, cilantro, oil, vinegar, hot sauce, lime juice, and salt and pepper.
- Add couscous and gently mix.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours for ingredients to marry.
- Brush marinade on raw tuna and grill/sear over medium high heat. Brush marinade on again after flipping tuna. Depending on how you like your tuna will decide how long to leave your steaks on the grill. I did mine a few minutes on each side so it was just a little pink in the middle.
- Top with wasabi mayonnaise if desired.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 15 minute(s)