I adore pasta and all the fixings but my waistline and cholesterol aren’t loving it so much anymore. This recipe for spaghetti squash is healthy yet so very tasty. You would never realize you aren’t eating pasta. Hey, what they don’t know won’t hurt them, right?
- 1 spaghetti squash
- spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
- 1 lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium zucchini
- 4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 lb. feta cheese – crumbled
- Prepare spaghetti sauce as directed or use your favorite bottled sauce. Let simmer.
- Brown ground Italian sausage until cooked through, drain and add to spaghetti sauce.
- After spaghetti sauce is heated through, add cream and simmer on low heat stirring often.
- Heat grill to medium high.
- Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out seeds. Discard seeds.
- Cut zucchini in half, the quarter lengthwise.
- Slather zucchini and inside of squash with olive oil, then salt and pepper.
- Place squash on grill cut side up. Let grill until almost tender. Flip and grill until tender. (Mine was quite large and took up to 30 minutes to grill)
- Put zucchini strips on the grill until you have a nice char on each side and tender. Remove from grill and set aside until cooled enough to cut into 1/2″ chunks.
- With a large fork, start shredding your spaghetti squash until it actually resembles spaghetti noodles. Toss with olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Top with spaghetti sauce, zucchini, and crumbled feta cheese.