Hot diggity dog! A healthy low-fat meal that is absolutely delicious. Trying to get my husband to eat a Mediterranean Vegetarian Recipe is like pulling teeth. But, I knew once he tried it he’d like it. Two bowls later I’m guessing he liked it.
- 10 plum tomatoes, halved
- 1 large red onion, quartered
- 1 medium to large zucchini
- 8 oz. whole wheat penne pasta
- 6 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black to taste
- 1/2 lb. vegetarian feta, coarsely crumbled (I found this at Whole Foods)
- 1/4 cup fresh shredded basil leaves
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Heat the grill to medium hot.
- Cut the tomatoes in half lengthwise.
- Cut the onion into quarters.
- Trim the zucchini cut in half, than quarter each half lengthwise.
- Wrap garlic in aluminum foil.
- In a large Ziploc bag, add half the olive oil, salt and pepper, onion, zucchini, and tomato. Very gently toss to coat all veggies.
- Put a pot of water on to boil.
- Put your vegetables on the grill with the tomatoes being cut side up. Save the bag of olive oil. Turn onions and zucchini getting a nice char on each side.
- Cook penne pasta until al dente.
- Place penne in a large bowl.
- Coarsely chop tomatoes and add them to the pasta along with their juice.
- Coarsely chop the onion, cut zucchini into 1/2 inch pieces. Add to pasta.
- Squeeze the pulp out of 1/2 of the garlic and add to pasta.
- Crumble feta, shred basil, and add to pasta along with the remaining olive oil and the olive oil left in Ziploc bag. Top with a bit of fresh ground pepper and a bit of garlic infused olive oil if you have some. If not, don’t worry. It will still be delicious.