I just love a bowl of steaming hot Maryland Vegetable Crab Soup, don’t you? It always takes me back to my summers in Annapolis where as a child I crabbed and fished on Back Creek. I would wake up early in the morning and tie my lines just right. Oh yes, I am a chicken necker! Watch the claws though, they really hurt when they pinch.
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 small bag of frozen mixed vegetable
- 1 lb. crab meat
- 1 medium onion diced fine
- 2 celery stalks diced fine
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 large potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp. Tabasco sauce (more if you want a spicier soup)
- 2 steamed hard crabs
- 2 Bay leaves (3 if small)
- 1/2 c. Old Bay Seasoning
1. In your crock pot/slow cooker combine your chicken stock, crushed tomatoes, Old Bay, Bay leaves, frozen vegetables, Tabasco, and red pepper flakes.
2. Sautee the onion and celery in butter.
3. While onion and celery are sautéing, peel and cube your potatoes and add to crock pot.
4. Add onion and celery.
5. Go through your 1 lb. of crab meat and remove any shells that may have been missed by pickers. Add to crock pot.
6. Take the shell off your steamed crabs and remove gills and intestines. Leave the mustard. Cut crab in half add to crock pot and submerge. Stir together and let cook on high for at least 3 hours.
This will serve 8-10 people. Serve with crackers.