When cold weather hits Maryland I go soup crazy. There is nothing like homemade soup recipes to warm your bones when you get a chill. But, I miss sitting by the pool and grilling up a juicy cheeseburger with my husband. So, I decided to concoct a recipe for Cheeseburger Soup so it can warm my bones but remind of warm summer evenings grilling cheeseburgers.
- 2 lbs. 93/7 ground hamburger
- 2 tbsp. butter
- 1 medium onion – chopped
- 2 stalks of celery – chopped
- 5 cups of low sodium beef broth
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 1/2 tbsp. Montreal Steak Seasoning
- 1 tbsp. parsley flakes
- 2 medium potatoes – cut into bite sized pieces with skin left on.
- 1 can of lima beans, drained and rinsed (can substitute with carrots)
- 8 oz. Velveeta cheese – cubed
- In a soup pot brown your beef, drain and set aside.
- In the same soup pot sautee onion and celery in 2 tbsp. butter until onion is translucent.
- Add beef back to soup pot.
- Add beef broth and all seasonings.
- Simmer for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and lima beans (you can substitute with carrots) and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Add cubed Velveeta and continue to simmer stirring often until melted and mixed into soup.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 2 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8