If you have kids this recipe is a must! Kids love making treats and cooking in the kitchen. Homemade Chocolate Peanut Eggs recipe from Family Frugal Fun looks delicious and simple and just think of the memories you will share with your little baker.
- 1 (16 ounce) package confectioners’ sugar
- 1 cup Skippy creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon milk (if needed! depends on the moisture level of your peanut butter)
- 8 (1 ounce) squares semi-sweet chocolate(or chocolate chips, or Wilton’s Melting Chocolate)
- 1 tablespoon shortening (like coconut oil or any shortening you like)
- In a mixing bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, butter and milk (if needed for moisture) until blended. Shape mixture into two 1/2 pound eggs or make a bunch of smaller eggs, or use an egg mold (see one here). Freeze eggs for 1 hour.
- While the eggs are freezing, Melt chocolate in top of double boiler with shortening ( like coconut oil if needed). Melt over medium heat, stirring frequently until smooth. Stick a long fork in top of each peanut butter egg, dip it in melted chocolate to cover then drain on waxed paper (Reynolds parchment paper you don’t have to place on parchment but it helps keep them from sticking & my mom was always big on Reynold’s products so I’ve stuck with it since it worked for her!)). When the eggs are cooled and set, decorate the eggs. Make food fun!
- Even easier: Use magic shell type ice cream toppings instead of melting real chocolate in a double broiler. It will harden and form if your eggs are cold from the freezer and its even easier!
- Decorate your eggs with colored Wilton Drizzle (optional but fun)
**If you make these without kids they are much “prettier” but also not as much fun! ☺