Because I am turning 50 years old in a couple of months and because I am ‘fluffy‘ I was looking for healthier alternatives to favorite foods. I made these healthy stuffed peppers with brown rice instead of white and ground turkey instead of beef but you would never know it. They turned out absolutely delicious. Try them you’ll like them, I promise.
- 1 cup brown rice
- 1 diced onion
- 1 tbsp onion
- 1 cup Swanson low sodium beef broth
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/2 lb. hot Italian turkey sausage
- 1 10 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 cup finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Cook brown rice according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cook onion in the olive oil over medium heat until onions are soft. Divide in half and set one half in a large bowl off to the side.
- Stir tomato sauce, beef broth, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes into the skillet, cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Pour cooked sauce into a 9×13 inch baking pan and set aside.
- Combine ground turkey, Italian turkey sausage, diced tomatoes, Italian parsley, garlic, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper in bowl with onions you set aside earlier.
- Mix well then combine meat mixture with rice and cheese and mix well again.
- Cut pepper in half and remove seeds and ribs.
- Stuff peppers with meat mixture and place in baking dish with sauce.
- Cover with tin foil and bake in preheated 375° oven for 45 minutes.
- Carefully remove tin foil and bake until meat is no longer pink which may be 20-25 minutes longer.
- Remove from oven and spoon some of the sauce in the bottom of the pan over you peppers.
- Top with a little more Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Number of servings (yield): 8