Don’t throw away your Easter ham bone. This is a delicious ham and potato soup recipe that is so easy to make. The days may be getting warmer but our nights are still a bit chilly. This soup is just perfect for those cool nights. It’s also great for using up that leftover ham.
- 1 ham bone
- 6 cups water
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 large leeks
- 2 celery stalks
- 3 large carrots
- 1 very large russet potato
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 heads of broccoli (florets cut off)
- With slow cooker on high setting, cook ham bone in 6 cups water until ham is falling off the bone. About 4 hours.
- Remove ham bone and let cool.
- Strip ham off the bone and return to slow cooker.
- Slice the white part of the leaks very thin and separate. Soak in cold water to remove dirt. Remove.
- Chop celery.
- In a skillet over medium heat melt butter, add leaks and celery and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Turn skillet down to medium low heat and whisk in flour. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Slowly add 1 cup milk while constantly whisking. Continue to whisk until thick.
- Add to slow cooker.
- Chop carrots and add to slow cooker.
- Peel and cut potato into bite sized pieces and add to slow cooker. Cook on high until carrots and potatoes are tender.
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Add broccoli and cook until tender.
Preparation time: 20 minute(s)
Cooking time: 5 hour(s)