I found this to be the best gingersnap cookies recipe because the gingersnaps are crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. I added little bits of crystallized ginger to the batter to give them that something extra. Share them with your friends or put some in a cute Christmas bag and give them as a little gift to let someone know you’re thinking about them.
- Melt shortening in a saucepan over low heat, pour into mixing bowl and cool.
- Add sugar, egg, and molasses and mix well.
- Whisk dry ingredients together as well as crystallized ginger.
- Add slowly to wet ingredients and mix well.
- Chill dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Roll dough into 2′ balls and roll in sugar.
- Bake on greased cookie sheet or cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Cooking time may vary according to the size of the dough balls. I tend to roll mine a bit large and cooking was closer to 15 min.
- Don’t crowd the cookies as they will spread.
- Let the cookies cool on the cookie sheet about 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Preparation time: 1 hour(s) 10 minute(s)
Cooking time: 8-15 minute(s)
Yields about 4 dozen cookies depending on preferred size of cookie.