My husband and I took a drive to the country to an apple orchard last weekend and picked the most beautiful apples I’ve ever seen. I never realized there were so many different kinds. The apples were begging to be used in an easy apple crumb pie recipe, so I obliged. This pie is so good warmed up with a little vanilla bean ice cream on the side. To make it even more decadent I topped it with chopped pecans and a drizzle of caramel. Oh my goodness!
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Core, peel, and thinly slice apples. I used 4 HUGE apples.
- Place 1 pie crust in the bottom of 9″ or 9 1/2″ pie plate.
- In a large bowl mix together flour, sugar, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and salt.
- Add apples to mixture and gently stir coating the apples.
- Pour the apples into the pie crust.
- In a separate bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, and oats.
- Chop butter into small squares and add to dry ingredients.
- Using a pastry blender cut in butter until it resembles coarse sand.
- Top apples with crub topping and bake for 50 minutes @ 375°.
- If crust is poking out cover it with pie shield for first 25 minutes of baking.
- Coarsley chop 1/2 cup pecans and spread over top of pie.
- Drizzle caramel ice cream topping over entire pie.
Preparation time: 30 minute(s)
Cooking time: 50 minute(s)