It’s mating season in Maryland. Wait, let me clarify that statement. It’s deer mating season in Maryland and the deer are love-sick and forlorn. My dad was a hunter (see picture below) and I have always enjoyed a venison meal. This recipe will teach you how to make chili, venison chili to be exact. It’s delicious!
- 2 lbs. ground venison
- 1 pound hot bulk breakfast sausage (mild is optional)
- 1 can Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup
- 1 large jar of medium salsa (mild if you don’t like it spicy)
- 1 large can of tomato sauce
- 2 packages of McCormick Chili (hot) seasoning
- 1 can of Bush’s chili beans
- 2 cans of kidney beans (1 dark bean and 1 light bean)
- 1 small block of Velveeta Mexican cheese
- chili powder to taste
- red pepper flakes to taste
- Tabasco hot sauce to taste
- Brown venison and sausage and drain.
- In a large pot combine soup, tomato sauce, salsa, and beans (drained and rinsed) and seasonings. Stir together.
- Add meat to pot and heat through.
- Add 1/2 block of Velveeta cheese (cubed for easier melting) to mixture and stir occasionally.
- Let simmer at least an hour to marry all your flavors together.
- Serve with shredded Cheddar or Colby Jack cheese and top with sour cream, and scallions (optional). Don’t forget the corn bread!