If the way to a mans heart is through his stomach then I better get my husband some bigger
shirts because his ‘heart’ is getting bigger and bigger every day! When your family walks through the door and smells a pot of chicken and dumplings simmering on the stove it automatically says comfort food to them and a smile forms across their face.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 stalks celery
- 1/2 large yellow onion
- 3 carrots
- 1 tsp sage
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 – 32oz. cartons of Swanson low sodium chicken broth
- 1 rotisserie chicken – cubed
- Dice celery, onion, carrot and add it to your butter and oil in your soup pot.
- Sautee on medium heat until onions are translucent.
- Add chicken broth to soup pot along with diced vegetables
- Add salt, pepper, sage, and bay leaves and bring to a boil.
- Simmer about 1 hour.
- In the mean time cube your chicken using both white and dark meat after removing skin and bones. Add to pot.
- Simmer an additional hour.
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/3 cup parsley flakes
- 1 1/2 tbsp Crisco shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 3/4 tsp salt
- Mix flour, baking powder, parsley flakes, and salt.
- Cut in Crisco until mixture resembles crumbs.
- Add milk and stir.
- Drop dumplings by heaping spoonful into simmering chicken liquid (above).
- Over medium heat (make sure it is still simmering) cover dumplings and let cook about 40 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through.
[amazon_carousel widget_type=”MostGifted” width=”600″ height=”200″ title=”” market_place=”US” shuffle_products=”False” show_border=”False” browse_node=”” search_index=”Kitchen” /]