Absolutely the best spaghetti sauce recipe I have made yet using my vine ripened plum tomatoes. So fresh and delicious. Don’t worry if you don’t have fresh plum tomatoes, you can use any canned tomato sauce.
Best Spaghetti Sauce Recipe
Author: Kooky Carol
Recipe type: Italian
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 6 oz. can of tomato paste
- 6 cups fresh Roma tomatoes, blanched and peeled
- 1 large white onion
- 1 sweet red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 Tbsp red pepper flakes
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped basil
- 2 Tbsp fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
- 3 cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 Tbsp oregano
- 1 lb. sweet italian sausage
- 1 lb. ground beef
- ½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Saute chopped vegetables in ¼ cup olive oil over medium heat until tender. Towards the end add the chopped garlic.
- Cook plum tomatoes in a large pot over medium heat. Using an immersion blender, blend tomatoes until desired consistency.
- Add in sautéed vegetables, herbs, spices, and sugar, salt and pepper.
- Brown Italian sausage, drain and add to sauce.
- Add Parmesan cheese.
- Lower heat and let simmer for about 2 hours.
- Serve over pasta and garnish with fresh basil and grated Parmesan cheese.
Make sure to taste your sauce along the way. Adjust your spices accordingly. Remember, recipes are just guidelines so take my guidelines and make this sauce the way you and your family like it.