You don’t have to be an Italian chef to know how to make baked ziti. I made this and froze it for one of those nights when I don’t have time to cook or I simply don’t feel like it. I used my homemade spaghetti sauce but you can use your favorite jarred sauce and make it even easier. I promise your family will love it. Pair it with some garlic bread and a Caesar salad and you’ll feel like you’re in Italy. Bon Appetito!
- Brown italian sausage and drain grease. Return to pan and add spaghetti sauce and red pepper flakes.
- Heat over medium heat until hot.
- Boil ziti noodles with until al dente.
- Mix noodles and 4 cups sauce together and put it in a 9×13 casserole dish sprayed with non stick spray.
- Pour remaining 1 cup of sauce over top.
- Top with 2 cups shredded mozzarella.
- Baker at 350° for 30 minutes or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Or top with heavy tin foil and place in freezer. Spray the tin foil with a bit of non stick baking spray so the cheese does not stick to the top. I add directions right on top of tin foil with a Sharpie pen.
- Let sit 5-10 minutes before serving.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 30 minute(s) if cooked right away. 45 – 60 minutes if cold.